CORONA VIRUS-2 (COVID19)
May 3, 2020
To breakdown the word into parts; CO-corona, VI-virus D-disease, -19 for 2019. So COVID-19 is the name of the disease. The disease is caused by a virus called SARS-COV-2. SARS stands for SEVERE ACUTE RESPIRATORY SYNDROME and COV-2 for coronavirus-2.
This virus is a cause of pneumonia; usually severe pneumonia. PNEUMONIA is not caused by getting exposed to cold as it is the believe by many people. Pneumonia is a respiratory tract infection caused by microorganisms which can be bacteria, virus, fungi.
Why name the virus SARS-COV-2.
-Severe means its dangerous
-Acute means it happens within a short time
-Respiratory syndrome means it affects respiration (breathing and oxygenation).
Simply put, this disease is dangerous and acts within a short time to cause respiratory failure.
HOW IS COVID-19 GOTTEN
By inhaling the virus. Through contact with an infected individual who is coughing or picking the virus from inanimate things into the nostrils.
HOW IS COVID-19 TREATED
1) with drugs. Three drugs have been used in the treatment. Chloroquine is NOT part of them.
2) Most importantly, Respiratory support (I.e breathing support and oxygenation).
It is worth noting that COVID-19 infected patients cannot be treated outside the INTENSIVE CARE UNIT(ICU). If that is the case, then let's talk about the #Nigerian_Healthcare_Story
-I read somewhere that China has about 52,000 ICU bed capacity.
-Another article has it that UK has 4,000🤷🏼♂
- Nigeria has less than 200 ICU beds all over the country. Our population is over 200million.
Now you see why prevention is even the only option we have in Nigeria.
Well, DO NOT PANIC, Just adhere to the instructions.
WAYS OF REDUCING RISK OF GETTING COVID-19.
1. Social distancing; maintaining a distance of at least 2metres from people. 2metres is like a distance of someone holding a walking stick and outstretching his arm.
2. Wash your hands for at least 20secs with soap and water regularly. Or use hand sanitizer.
3. Try to keep your hands off your face.
4. Get a face mask and wear it often and appropriately.
5. Cover nose and mouth when coughing and sneezing with tissue or bent elbow.
6. Avoid unnecessary gatherings.
7. Report to the hospital when you have fever, dry cough, difficulty in breathing, shortness of breathe.
DON'T SELF MEDICATE
ADHERE TO INSTRUCTIONS AND MOST IMPORTANTLY SHOW LOVE